This project came about one night when I was busy preparing for the Craft Fair. I got a little distracted and bored of what I was doing and decided to make something just for fun rather than anything I needed to do! I had a little look around and I was surrounded by tiny little scraps that otherwise might have ended up in the bin!
Here’s what I came up with….
You will need:
Square of fabric for backing (size of required coaster)
Some sort of interfacing/padding/lining to make a more sturdy coaster (I used an old bed sheet)
1. Sew together several scraps of fabric so that you have strip. Do this by placing one scrap piece on top of the other, right sides facing. Repeat until you have enough strips to make a square.
2. Press all seams open.
3. Sew the strips together. Do this by placing one strip on top of the other, right sides facing.
4.When you have sewn all strips together press open the seams.
5. Place right side up. Now put the plain square of fabric you have for the back on top, right side down. Put your lining/interfacing on top of this.
6. Sew all around edge using a 0.5 seam allowance and leave a 1 inch gap for turning. Snip corners.
7. Turn the coaster right side out and turn gap under.
8. Sew all around the edge to finish.
9. Repeat for as many coasters as you need.
Voila! Fabric scrap coasters! The perfect little project to use up those annoying tiny pieces.
(Please bear in mind this is my first attempt at writing a tutorial so if you have any questions just let me know! Thanks)